After needing to do some work on Windows again, needing the command window (cmd.exe) I got really pissed. I need something better, something easy and something that doesn't limit me in my work. You know, like in Linux with Bash or Sh.
So, I've spent a couple of hours hacking on something that is currently in a working state, a easy to use command line tool that gives the user a proper Window with tabs and some nice colored output etc.
Since I've only spent a couple of hours, it doesn't support any settings or customizations, but don't fear, I will continue to hack on this app until it at least supports my needs as a Linux command geek.
If you want to give it a spin, you can Download it here. BUT, it requires Windows Vista or Windows 7 and .NET Framework 4. Not a friend of .NET, well, deal with it or just don't download it!
A short summary of what works and what you can do.
* Tabbed environment, use CTRL+N to open a tab, CTRL+W to close the active tab
* All commands working in cmd.exe such as dir, ping etc works out of the box.
* A very small super set of Linux like commands; pwd & clear just as a proof of concept.
* Colored prompt and colored output for canceled operations etc.
* Interrupt a command with ^C or ^X works
* Writing just cd without args will make it crash :P
Well, that's a good start after a couple of hours. Enjoy!
And by the way, yes, I will publish the source code in full at Github, but right now I do need some sleep. Will post again when it's available at Github.